She finally called me mom.

23 Jul

Yesterday was the first day that Oli ever called me mom.
Today when she said it again someone else was here to validate for me that she actually said it. My husband heard her.

She is 6.

She called me mom.

Not mom-mom or ma-ma-ma. Not ommm or mmmmm or ahhhh or any of the other things that she has called me in the past.

Just mom.

I knew she could. I hoped she would.

I just didn’t know when?

As we were sitting on the chair this morning after breakfast she quieted her head shaking, tipped her head towards mine and said “Mom”. Then she smiled and leaned forward to give me a hug and pat me on the back. She hugged me tightly like “I know mommy. I know you’ve been waiting to hear that from me for a very long time. There you go. I said it.”

I was so shocked that I don’t even think I registered the fact that it was SUCH a big deal until after she left for school. Until after I came back upstairs and sat down with my coffee.

And then it hit me.

I finally heard the word that I have been waiting to hear since she was born. The word that I have dreamt of all of my children saying since the moment that I knew that I wanted to become a mother.

After 6 long years…I finally heard it from Oli.

If she has taught me anything it’s patience. If she has shown me anything it’s that we have to celebrate the tiniest accomplishments because for a child like her, the smallest things become the most memorable.

I remember each of her little moments like it happened yesterday. The pictures of those things are etched in my brain like a tiny portrait of the perfect day. I remember where we were sitting, what we were saying, who was in the room, and the big smile on her face once she realizes what she has done.

I’ll give you an example…

The second time she put two words together (the first time was at 2 years old before she stopped speaking) happened a few months ago. Kekoa, Ginger and I were playing a Lego board game. Kekoa was working on building a car out of red Legos with grey doors and black rubber wheels. Ginger was sitting to my left pulling out all of the tiny grey pieces, trying to annoy her brother. Oli was sitting with my mom eating applesauce. My mom asked her if she was all done eating. Oli tipped her head to the side and quietly said with the confidence of a super star “All done.”

Cue the big smile that graced her perfect lips and the huge yells of celebration and congratulations from the rest of us.

The itty bitty moments, in a regular house, on a regular day, mark the events of my lifetime.

THESE are the moments that I will remember when I grow older and reflect on the good times in my life.

I won’t remember when I bought my first car, when I moved into my first house, or what I wore on my first date.

I WILL remember when my Oli girl said mom for the first time.

I will remember when all of my kids did, but she works so much harder for these milestones. Months and months turn into years and years of therapy to achieve the things that other children seem to do so without effort.

And yet…that is almost exactly what she did today.

Somehow, working on it for all of these years instantly turned into a distant memory.

She said it so clearly, smoothly, and confidently that it just rolled off of her tongue like it had always been there.

Like she had been saying it all along.

I have many people joke with me and say things like “Just wait! Wait until she starts talking all of the time and then you’ll wish for the days that she didn’t.”

I laugh and say “Yeah” like I have some comprehension of what they’re talking about.

I don’t.

I can’t imagine a day that I wouldn’t want her to speak. She could speak to me all day, every day for the rest of her life and I honestly don’t think that I would ever get tired of hearing her sweet voice.

Can you imagine the day that she could have a conversation with me? Can you imagine a time when she could tell me what she wanted for dinner?

I can.

It gives me butterflies.

Nope.

I will never ever wish for these days when she can’t.

But, I know that she will be able to someday because she surprises me all of the time with her accomplishments.

It may have taken her 6 years to call me mom, but she said it!

She said it.

That’s all that matters.

Advertisements

28 Responses to “She finally called me mom.”

1. Amy July 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Oh Happy Day !!!!!! I understand your excitement, my 5 year old nephew who has severe CP and major physical and verbal delays said my name for the first time on the 4th of July. I am super close to him and everytime I see him I ask him to say Amy and he usually just yells. On the 4th I said it to him like I have hundreds of times before and he looked at me and said Amy. The look on his face was like there I said it now quit asking me woman. I was in tears !!!!! Way to go Oli and congrats MOM !!!!

• mommyhasissues July 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Awe!! That brought tears to my eyes.
      Thank you for telling me that. I love it when people share their own moments with me. It makes mine even more special!

2. Carol Jozefowicz July 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

I really need to stop reading this while at work, lol. You make me cry all the time! But good, happy tears, at least! I can’t even tell you how happy I am for you. Words can’t express it. The progress she has made over the last few months….I just love it. ❤

• mommyhasissues July 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Thank you Carol. I know!! You know Oli. This was HUGE!! She’s really come a long way in the last 6 months.

3. dawn July 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

This is just beautiful! Congrats, mom! xoxo

4. skytasio July 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

I’m all misty-eyed, now. I know what you mean about celebrating the “small stuff” (not sweat- like the book title- but yell and celebrate!) Yesssss. What a great day!

• mommyhasissues July 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks Heather!! You know how it is. It was amazing!!

5. Anonymous July 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Just one word…AWESOME! I am sooo happy for you and Oli! Kudos to Oli!

• Sandra Newman July 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Oops! Anonymous would be Sandy Newman. lol… I can’t stop smiling just thinking about you.

6. Anonymous July 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I cried happy tears as I read this. So, so happy for you!

• mommyhasissues July 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Thank you!

• Chandon March 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

Why does this have to be the ONLY reallbie source? Oh well, gj!

• homeowners insurance April 22, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

That’s a subtle way of thinking about it.

7. Juli July 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Yay oli!!!! Reminds me of waiting for my nephew to stop calling me daddy and start calling me juli, 6 years old and I still haven’t heard juli but ill settle for his sweet little nickname for me “goolie”

8. ksbeth July 24, 2013 at 1:57 am #

this is beautiful, a moment you will always treasure ) beth

9. Sarah Almond July 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

And THIS is why Facebook and WordPress need LOVE buttons. I would so be clicking that right now. 😀

• mommyhasissues July 26, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Thanks Sarah!! It’s pretty exciting!

• Sarah Almond July 26, 2013 at 3:09 am #

I love it! And I want you to know how much Oli puts a smile on my face every day! 😀 I’m going to be mentioning your blog on my weekly wrap-up this week, so be prepared! 😀

• mommyhasissues July 26, 2013 at 3:44 am #

Awe thanks Sarah! I’m glad! And thanks for mentioning the blog. That’s awesome!!

10. the mmmmm family August 6, 2013 at 6:18 am #

I have only just stumbled across your blog but I think it is so beautiful. What an amazing mum you are. I hope you don’t mind but I’ve nominated you for the Beautiful Mama Blog Award, you can read more about it here http://fivemsblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/the-beautiful-mama-blog-award/ You really truly deserve it.

11. Anastasia August 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

My goodness Shannon, this is one amazing blog!:) I am Lydia’a mom, Lydia has bilateral an ophthalmia and was born in July 2007, I remember we talked in the phone 6 years ago , full of hopes mommies, not knowing how many challenges are ahead of us… We are in the same boat, Lydia has severe autism, started around 2….taking it day by day, and littlest things seem like miracles:) would love to chat with you! Email me or call me anytime

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Best Moment Award | mummy flying solo - August 3, 2013

[…] 15. I’m Fine but My Mommy Has issues […]

2. The Beautiful Mama Blog Award | the mmmmm family - August 5, 2013

[…] 3. I’m fine but My Mummy Has Issues!; This blog is very special as is the mummy writing it, honest and full of love. […]