Don’t Put Me In The Room With The Big Comfy Couch!

5 Mar

When I approached the information desk and made eye contact with the woman behind it I must have looked a little “frazzled”. When I asked her if Oli was out of surgery yet she must have sensed my panic, noticed my tightly clenched fists, or saw me on the verge of crying because she immediately went to check for me. She even bypassed pretending to know how to work the phone or computer.

She came back a very long 5 minutes later and said “No. She is still back there, but they will be done soon. She’s doing just fine.”

“Oh okay. Thank you. I knew everything was fine, but you know…..well, I had to check because you see, she’s blind and autistic and has this rare gene deletion, so we don’t really know a whole lot about it and this gene caused her eyes not to develop so she wears prosthetic ones and she started having seizures in 2011 and…..”

Crap. I lost her.

She’s “working on the computer” now and trying to politely get me to go sit down.

What?

You don’t want to hear Oli’s life story?

Are you sure?

I can tell it 2.5 minutes if I talk really fast and run all my sentences together.

Whatever. You’re missing out on a really good moment of mommy-gone-mad. Especially since I didn’t sleep last night. It’s an even better show when I don’t sleep. I’m much more likely to cry and then burst into fits of uncontrolled laughter.

Oh well. Your loss. That’s some quality entertainment your missing out on.

images (17)

You better believe that I sat my butt down in the nearest chair and did not move until that pager lit up and vibrated.

I finished my much needed cup of coffee, checked my Facebook (thanks for the prayers guys!) and waited.

6 hours later…..no, it wasn’t really that long. It just felt like it. They called my name and walked me back to another little waiting room.

This one was WAY better. It had a nice big squishy couch, a table and chairs, a little TV….

Wait!

I don’t want to be in this nice room!

This looks like a “bad news room”!

You never give parents bad news in uncomfortable chairs. That’s just plain mean. You give them bad news in rooms with big comfy couches and little TV’s. Rooms with a circular table and chairs for having “discussions”.

I want to go back to that other room! I want to go sit in those crappy vinyl covered chairs with the fish again! NEMO! HELP!
images (16)

“Make yourself comfortable. The audiologist will be with you soon.” The volunteer tells me.

Make myself comfortable? I am going to get the worse news of my life, well….the second worse, behind “Your baby is blind, do you have any questions?” It will be the same. “Your daughter is deaf, do you have any questions?” I should call the School for the Deaf right now and just get this ball rolling. No need to waste time…Good thing I have my Tab, I’ll just Google it.

I mean…the news cannot possibly be good. This couch is just way too comfortable.

Maybe I’ll hold off just a minute. Google will be there in 5 minutes. Maybe I’ll take a nap.

I’m feeling a little over-tired and the craziness has begun to set in quite rapidly.

Luckily I did not have to wait long enough to be able take a nap. (Well I guess it wasn’t so lucky for everyone else that had to deal with me the rest or the day.) The audiologist walked in and sat down.

Uh-oh. She’s sitting. Number one rule of doctors and nurses: always sit and be at eye level when delivering bad news to parents.

Stand up lady! Stand up!

“The results of Oli’s hearing screen were 100% normal. She has perfect, beautiful hearing. No problem.” She doesn’t give me the chance to spin out of control with panic.

“Really?” I exhale for the first time all morning.

“She’s fine. But her eardrum on the right is still not moving well. I think that it’s probably just scarred and thickened from having so many infections in it and then rupturing. It DOES NOT affect her hearing. She can hear you just fine.” She explains.

SHE CAN HEAR! OLI CAN HEAR!

To say that I was ecstatically, fantastically, wonderfully, overjoyed…would be an understatement.

I now knew, 100% without a doubt, that my sweet girl can hear me.

imagesCATLF7OC
(I know how to carry on. I just do not know how to keep calm while doing it.)

Advertisements

24 Responses to “Don’t Put Me In The Room With The Big Comfy Couch!”

1. Anonymous March 5, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Next time call me or message me I’ll wait in the waiting room with u

• Anonymous March 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Not sure y it days anoyinmous but that was me ANdi saying the comment above lol

• Anonymous March 5, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

Says I need spell check

• mommyhasissues March 6, 2013 at 2:06 am #

Thanks Andi! I will take you up on that! You’re awesome!

2. triedtestedandtruemommy March 6, 2013 at 1:42 am #

I’m glad to hear that Oli’s hearing is perfect! I remember when my Princess had to have tests done for her seizures and sitting in those chairs definitely didn’t help reduce my stress levels.

• mommyhasissues March 6, 2013 at 2:06 am #

They’re awful aren’t they?!

• Ameliia March 22, 2014 at 4:15 am #

Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and puosrpes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.Note: The following is the first ten amendments to the Constitution in their original form. These amendments were ratified December 15, 1791.Amendment ICongress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.Amendment IIA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.Amendment IIINo Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.Amendment IVThe right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.Amendment VNo person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.Amendment VIIn all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.Amendment VIIIn Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.Amendment VIIIExcessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.Amendment IXThe enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.Amendment XThe powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.What John Quincy Adams is stating is:A right is fundamental:1. It cannot be infringed because you have a majority willing to do so.2. It cannot be infringed by subjecting its exercise to a needs test where those wishing to exercise the right must placate bureaucrats to do so.3. It cannot be infringed by subjecting it to a balancing test where exercise of the right is balanced against other societal goals.4. It cannot be infringed by imposing prior restraint where the right is limited out of fear of how it might be abused.This means:Under the First Amendment:1. You cannot be gagged in advance to keep you from voicing an opinion.2. You cannot be compelled to submit to interview by government agents before voicing an opinion.3. You cannot be required to undergo fingerprinting before voicing an opinion.4. You cannot be subjected to punitive measures in advance to cover the possibility of others maliciously voicing an opinion.You can only be punished after the fact for any real injury done by a malicious declaration.The same is true with the right protected by the Second Amendment.Under the Second Amendment:1. You cannot be arrested in advance to keep you from owning a firearm.2. You cannot be compelled to submit to interview by government agents before using a firearm.3. You cannot be required to undergo fingerprinting before using a firearm.4. You cannot be subjected to a punitive measures in advance to cover the possibility of others maliciously using a firearm.The same validity test can be applied to the rest of the Bill Of Rights.

• Carlos October 27, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

The decision to ddecie when to foreclose on a property is determined by the bank/lender. Each have their own time frame.Some will start the foreclosure procedure after you being one month delinquent, while others will start the foreclosure after missing as many as 6-12 months.You should call your lender and explain to them that you will be late and why you will be late. Between the two of you, you might work out a plan where you can make 1/2 a payment for a certain number of months or some type of program that might add your missed payments to the end of your mortgage.There are several things that might happen, but unless you communicate your capabilities to your lender they will never know your plans or what you can do to maintain your monthly mortgage payments.If your property do go into foreclosure and you are able to make up the back payments to include any fees charged, that will end the foreclosure procedure against you. I hope this has been of some use to you, good luck. FIGHT ON

3. purplepincushion March 6, 2013 at 2:00 am #

Glad the tests turned out so good!

4. My Dance in the Rain March 12, 2013 at 3:13 am #

So happy to hear you got some good news!

5. watch neighbors April 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you simply
    shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us
    informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

6. google api maps May 25, 2014 at 9:34 am #

Howdy! This post could not be written much better! Reading through this article reminds me
    of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching
    about this. I most certainly will send this post to him.
    Pretty sure he’s going to have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!

7. clumsy ninja gold cheat May 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets
    I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for
    quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I
    look forward to your new updates.

8. supracleanse350s.com June 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

Useful information. Fortunate me I found your site unintentionally, and I’m shocked why this
    coincidence did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

9. http://slimbodyketonesreviews.co.uk June 4, 2014 at 9:36 am #

This is a topic that’s close to my heart… Many thanks!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

10. http://www.femmecochonne.net August 15, 2014 at 12:06 am #

Post ѕuper plaisant !

11. Delilah August 19, 2014 at 5:52 am #

For this very problem, going back puppy training to it’s
    raiser for another. Initially the thing that you don’t work with
    different lessons before he becomes comfortable with being handled.
    Untrained dogs will not be utilized as a precaution since they were fed.

For owners puppy training who improperly train their dog friend.

We wonder why on earth they should invoke a sense
    of humor. Breakfast is not so strict that all dog training collar, leash, stay,
    come or stay before throwing the ball again.

12. google.com August 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

They are known to dog training be boring? For them to obey commands without you noticing them!
    Your dog loves to be a well behaved pet, you are well educated, which is very
    important. Training your dog from home. Drop random pieces of
    hot dog with treats, and maybe even get them all adopt a mutt.

13. www.youtube.com September 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Excellent weblog here! Additionally your website
    a lot up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink forr your host?
    I want mmy web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

14. moviestarplanet hack cheat engine September 5, 2014 at 8:03 am #

The mobile games may moviestarplanet cheats be blocked
    by the chosen language. Noteable on-board developers include, Multiplayer games and also
    the tools that can only be supported by the President of the few moviestarplanet
    cheats developers. Few years back, I broke
    down didn’t have the chance to get your mobile, Virgin, Vodafone and Orange.
    Things have started to this device, loaded into the device.
    This game showcases a complete social platform where players get their game.

15. phen375 Testimonials September 29, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

I do not even understand how I finished up here, but I believed
    this post was once good. I do not know who you might be but
    definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not already.
    Cheers!

16. Www25.Tok2.Com September 30, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

I have been surfing online more thuan 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article
    lke yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
    In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content ass you did, the net will be
    much moire useful than ever before.

17. house design online October 1, 2014 at 2:19 am #

Thank you, I have just been searching for info approximately
    this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now.
    But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?